Saturday 14 April 2012

Scunthorpe Telegraph

Article in this week's Scunthorpe Telegraph Snooker to cycling - trio ready face the best in Europe

Extracted article:
Not so long ago it was snooker rather than cycling which dominated Phil Binch's sporting preferences. Representing his country was seemingly the last thing on his mind.
Best of British: From left, Phil Binch, Alan Woodcock and Steve Grocock will compete in the European Triathlon Championships in Israel later this month.
But having taken up triathlon at the age of 36, Binch will head to Isreal later this month in his GB kit for the European Triathlon Championships.
Joining him will be fellow Lincsquad members Alan Woodcock and Steve Grocock from the Brigg-based club after all three finished in the top five of their respective age groups in the country.
"You've got to work hard to qualify," Binch said. "Everyone wants to have a chance to race for their country.
"I was chuffed to bits to qualify.
"It's quite an achievement and quite an honour.
"At my time of life you think things like that have gone.
"I'd done some things at school, but all I did between 18 and 36 was play snooker.
"I took up triathlon very late.



"Last year I represented Great Britain in the quadrathlon team, but it's the first time I've been to the triathlon championships, and it's the same for Steve and Alan.
"All three of us are really looking forward to it. We're very excited."
The Sprint race the trip will undertake in Eilat consists of a 750 metre swim, 20 kilometre cycle and 5km run, which the triathletes will be completing in one hour.
Binch will captain and compete in the 40-44 age group, as well as leading the 35-39 category. Grocock will also race in the 40-44 section, while Woodcock takes his place in the 55-59 group.


For Binch and Grocock, their preparations have been hampered by injury, with the former having suffered a broken collarbone and the latter a foot problem.
"The surgeon won't let me swim at the minute, but I'm okay to bike and run, which I'm doing lots of," said Messingham athlete Binch.
"It's a sprint race in Israel and a 750m swim, which should take about 10 or 11 minutes.
"I'm a fairly strong swimmer anyway so I don't think I'll lose that much time.
"With the training I'm doing on the bike and running, I should be able to make it back up. If I hadn't had my injury and Steve hadn't hurt his foot we'd both have an outside chance of pushing for a medal.
"We'd have to race very well but we'd have a chance.
"But with not being 100 per cent, it makes it a little bit more challenging.
"Alan's got a very good chance. He qualified first or second in his age group.
"There's going to be a good GB field, and then all the European entries as well so it will be tough."

No comments:

Post a Comment