Friday 25 April 2014

a BIG week's training

Late March/ early April saw pretty consistent 14-15 hour training weeks, mainly biking & running, a few century rides in there and feeling strong off the bike, would like to be doing three or four more hours a week really but its just not possible, that said I'm happy with progress, I still needing to push some longer sessions out in each discipline I booked a week off work over Easter, 4 days holiday but the way it fell meant I had 10 consecutive days off work, this would give me a real focus and chance to get some long session in.

Not sure what happened the week prior to my 10 days off, I didn't train Monday or Tuesday and so had to throw 4 miles swimming, 51 mile ride & 15 miles running over Wednesday, Thursday & Friday.

Saturday came, first day of 10 days off work and I went big on the bike, just over 7 solo hours riding time, 130 miles at 18.3 mph, really pleased with how good I felt over the last few miles and getting off the bike, felt strong.

Sunday I had promised I wouldn't train, my daughter was back from skiing with school so a family day altogether was the right thing to do, nice & chilled, legs still feeling good.

Monday was the start of my biggest training week in two years a four mile pools swim followed by 102 miler on the bike, over the Humber Bridge and for the first time I didn't come back the same way. I meandered west, exploring some new roads which I really enjoy doing, had a spot of lunch in the sunshine, then travelled south down the west side of the Trent before crossing the river and returning home North, a great day, and a nice solo 18.8 mph average.

I won't bore you with each days training, but I've added a screen shot from Garmin Connect below, the week totalled, 14 miles swimming, 380 miles riding & 27 miles running, a 31 hour training week whilst still managing to do a few family orientated activities while my daughter was on school holidays. Must add I've had great support from my wife & daughter, they are integral to success on the day as two of my four man support crew, but more importantly encouraging and motivating me to get out and train, really important for anyone attempting endurance events to have this I am a lucky man :)


Another 100 miler on the bike on Bank Holiday Monday completed a great week & a few days, really pleased & enjoying my swimming, it's probably for the first time in a number of years I've enjoyed swimming so much, the highlight was Friday mornings 5 mile pool swim (my longest swim ever) and the 4 four century rides. But if I'm honest I'm disappointed that I ran less than 30 miles, should have done more than that really.

So I'm happy where I'm at on the swim, I could easily have carried on with the 5 miler to finish the Triple distance swim of 7.2 miles, but I felt good, will just keep putting a couple of one to two hours swims in every week now.

Riding, I'm feeling really strong, I'm riding better than ever before and finishing long rides strong, I just need to get a really big one in over the next two weeks, I've got 200 miles in my head, still fancy a dusk to dawn ride, we'll see.

Running, this does need more focus and encouragement now, although by the time I get to the run on the triple, run form won't be the concern, it'll be all about having a strong mind and sticking to the plan, however a 26+ mile run is needed, I've got a date in mind, late April to nail this. A few mates from the club are getting together to support a charity 10 mile walk in the next village in memory of a club mate organised by his mum, it's been a tough 14 months for the family and I want to continue supporting them as much as I can , so two laps of the route will do nicely, a sneaky jog there & back to get to marathon plus territory is the plan. It'll be good having company for the long run, a time to catch up with a few club mates, most of my training this year has been solo so I've missed the club/ group training buzz.

So as I sit here typing it's 35 days to the triple, all is going to plan (I think), again I would have liked to have got a few extra hours in earlier in the year but it wasn't to be, I am and always have been confident about the event, it's so important, you absolutely must have total belief in yourself and your ability to keep going through the pain and tiredness, yeah that confidence is here alright...... big style!

The Race Organiser has confirmed that all Triple athletes need a medical certificate stating we are fit for distance is causing a few problems with everyone, one guy has been told it will cost £120, another's doctor is happy to do a fitness note but won't state "fit for distance". I haven't been to the doctors for years, so not sure how the hell he's going to know whether I'm fit for distance!?! Should be a fun conversation anyway.

Latest update from IUTA (International Ultra Triathlon Association) today is that all we need is basic note stating that "there are no contradictions to the athlete performing" , I guess I know what that means, anyway let's get booked in with the doc and see what they say.





1 comment:

  1. Epic training buddy... Keep to the plan and get some more running in the mix ;-) No wonder your confident!

    ReplyDelete